Sunday, March 8, 2009

Books & Basting


It's the annual Friends of the Library book sale... I know many quilters love books almost as much as fabric. The photo above shows just a part of the middle section of three giant areas of books, all selling for about $1.00!
Finding a good quilt book is difficult for several reasons, the first being I did not arrive until the second day of the sale. Next comes my own extensive library (both in number and age of books!).
But I did enjoy running into fellow guild members V.S and S.C.

In another, curtained off area they had "Better Books" for $4--6--10. It was my good fortune to run into yet another quilter there, who confess the "Better Books" had been selected by herself and another guy. I asked if there were any quilt books in there, and she said not many, so I didn't look too long.


Anybody want a copy of a Dr. Phil book? And there were at least 12 copies of The DaVinci Code. It's not too hard to tell what was hot and has now cooled off!
This is a really good place to find books for doing
Altered Book Art, collage or other creative endeavors. Even if you were strictly taught never to write in or cut up a book!

Meanwhile, back in the studio, it's a stack of basted quilts!
Thanks to Cherry-Cherry for helping me get these stuck together last week.
Just to help you sort through the visual confusion, there are 4 quilts shown, all in some stage of being quilted.
"Roxanne's Honeymoon" is the pink & black one at the left. The other three are stacked in my chair, folded with the backs out.
From the bottom up they are: the teal color is the Mystery Quilt for the Spacecoast Quilters (class in April); the stripes are the scrap quilt for Mrs. Starbucks; and the one on top is a wonderful coffee labels print on the back of a quilt I am doing for my sister's birthday in May!

I am pretty sure she never reads my blog (because she's too busy doing wonderful theatre work with students at a performing arts high school ...not in the city where I live, though). So here's what the quilt looks like:
Sorry about the ironing board in the corner...you'll see a better pic when it's done!
I started this in a class with Dee Duckworth at the
SSQA meeting last month. There was nothing wrong with her pattern, but by the time I was done a number of changes had been made.
Some of them were even planned! (you know what I mean?)

1 comment:

Pat said...

I like that quilt, Sunnie! I have seen a pic of the quilt from the SSQA meeting and I like this version better. The design really pops out. Love the colors you chose.