I wanted to give something to my cat Shayla and to my friends' cats, so here's a way to make a lot of catnip bags really fast. And no turning needed!
Start with a nice batik Fat Quarter (18" x 22")...it has a good tight weave to stand up to teeth & claws, plus you'll enjoy seeing it as it appears in odd places around the house!
|So pretty & bright!|
1) Trim the edges to makes them fairly square/ straight if they aren't already.
2) With the wrong side up, fold the long edges in to touch in the center. Now you will see the right side of the fabric.
3) Start at one end and mark a line 1/2--3/4" inside. Then mark at 2" and then 1/2" and 2" until you get to the end.You do not need to be fussy about the measurements. I used a chalk marker. You need the 1/2--3/4" at the end on the right, too. Just cut off any extra fabric.
|This will make 14 bags that are approx. 2" x 4"|
|Don't worry about the open edges yet!|
6) If you have a thread cutter button on your machine, this is a great time to use it! My new Horizon has one, but I sewed half the lines before I remembered to use the automatic cutter....maybe I won't forget it from now on!
7) Fold the piece of fabric along the center so all the openings are going up.
|Home-made is so often better than store-bought.|
9) Start at one end and fill the bags. I stuck my fingers down inside to sort of separate the layers in each bag, giving the catnip a place to go. 2 tablespoons is plenty for each bag...of course, I just eyeballed it!
|I ran out of 'nip and have empty bags on the right end!|
|Closing the bags|
12) Now get out those pinking shears and cut all the bags apart!
|Do you know where your pinking shears are???|
I ran out of catnip, so those four bags were just cut off the end and can be filled & stitched shut later.
|Shayla offers to help "clean up".|
I don't have any doggie friends to make gifts for this year, but if you do, I suggest making a collar cover...just sew a tube that is longer than the collar so it scrunches up when you thread the collar end through. Pick a color that the owner likes...the dog is color-blind and does not care!
My DIL noticed that the napkins at an import store would make really cool bandanas. That would also be a good idea, because many dogs look great wearing one!
Hope your holiday sewing is going well...let me know if you have any good quick & easy ideas to share!