Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy Groundhog Day!

Things are really busy right now, but I couldn't let a Groundhog Day pass by without posting.
For those who are confused about the way it works, this is the bottom line:
If the Groundhog sees his shadow on a sunny day, he's scared of it and goes back in his hole:
six more weeks of Winter.
If the Groundhog comes out on a cloudy day, he's not scared by his shadow so he stays outside:
Spring will come in about a month and a half.
Yep...that's 6 weeks!


I know PETA thinks that Puxatawney Phil should be replaced by a robot, but that's crazy talk! Phil has a great job that only lasts one day per year and he's treated like a king.
The thing that gets me is they drag him out of the burrow! I don't think you can get a good weather report that way, but they are undoubtedly trying to make the morning news hour. It's all about marketing.

Anyway, here's a link to a post I did about a real groundhog, my beloved Charlie.
I hope you enjoy a Very Fine Holiday that truly harks back to a time when we were closer to Nature.

http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/2008/02/lessons-from-groundhog.html

Next time: back to quilting!

No comments: